Companies are investing in custom software these days for a wide variety of reasons. There are many benefits in the number and flexibility of features, alone. There is also the potential for real business advantage.
The benefits are particularly relevant for companies that deal with highly classified or confidential information, such as healthcare and law enforcement businesses, but a growing emphasis on security for all businesses means it’s more important than ever for companies to know the software they’re working with.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the primary reasons people decide to go custom:
- Companies get exactly what they need, no more and no less. Building custom software gives companies the opportunity to create a tool that fits their needs exactly. With an off the shelf solution they may find they’re using only half the available features, or less, though they’re paying for all of them. Not to mention the hidden fees that can be associated, or potential price hikes down the road. There’s also the possibility that a company needs a feature that’s specific to their business operations, so it may not be available in cookie cutter software- custom software may be the only way to include a key money- or time- saving feature.
- Custom software can adapt with your business. Business needs change all the time, especially as a company grows in size or revenue, or moves into a new market. Software can help streamline business operations, assist with customer management or engagement, track and support employee tasks, and so much more. With custom software, the ability to do all of these things can adapt with a business’s needs. Also, a business is better able to identify its own needs over time, so a feature that may not have been seen as a necessity when the software was built can be added in later as a business works with the software and gets a sense of how it can best be used.
- The ability to customize software helps a business streamline operations. Technology can save businesses time and money by automating tasks that would take a person twice as long (or more) to accomplish. It can also provide a way of tracking or completing recurring tasks, managing projects with all the necessary detail, organizing and sorting information so that it’s easy to find and use, and more. Custom software is built to work the way a company works, tailored to the skills and tasks of the day to day.
- The ability to tailor customer-facing software to YOUR customers is invaluable. Businesses are always working to grow and evolve their understand of who their customers are and what those customers want. Customer-facing software should be built to that understanding. Software should be easy to use and highly functional, and building a customer-facing software with your customers in mind provides them with the sort of experience they hope for.
- Custom software provides your business with a competitive advantage. Out of the box software is available to any company that needs to implement something. For companies looking for a way to improve operations and customer experience to remain competitive, software can provide an advantage. The ability to better tailor operations, engage with customers, and save time and money will make a difference for a company navigating a competitive landscape.
Custom software tailored to your company’s needs can adapt with your business, streamline business operations, and provide your customers with a great online experience. These factors can be vital in the short term, but also very beneficial for long-term growth and sustainability.
At Grata, we specialize in custom software development. Our network of software experts can evaluate your business needs and find the best technical solutions. Give us a call today.